FASTalk is Easy & Works
Check out our most recent webinar!
Family Engagement Lab hosted a webinar on Tuesday May 7, 2019 featuring administrators who piloted the tool this year.
Teviron Ross (LaBelle Aire Elementary, East Baton Rouge Parish) and Angela Beck (Celerity Schools) shared why FASTalk was relevant for their teachers and how it helped them "redefine what parent participation looks like."
FASTalk in Louisiana
During the 2018-2019 school year, Family Engagement Lab partnered with the Louisiana Department of Education (LDOE) to pilot a family engagement tool, FASTalk. FASTalk sends parents text messages with at-home literacy activities aligned to what students are doing in the classroom.
FASTalk is used by:
- American Reading Company ARC Core ELA
- Core Knowledge Foundation Core Knowledge Language Arts (CKLA)
- EL Education ELA
- ELA Guidebooks (3-5)
- Fountas and Pinnell Literacy
- Frog Street Pre-K
- Great Minds Wit & Wisdom (K-2)
- Teaching Strategies Creative Curriculum
- Teaching Strategies Gold Assessment
...and others available upon request
What do teachers think of FASTalk?
Family Engagement Lab recently surveyed teachers participating in the 2018-2019 FASTalk pilot.
Nearly all teachers indicated that they wanted to use FASTalk again next year, and are seeing the benefit of improved parent-teacher communication.
Teachers reported additional benefits of the weekly text messages, such as:
Notably, teachers indicated that they want more parent participation. This speaks to the need to expand FASTalk to support more students across the state next year. View our full report!
Check out what teachers in Sabine Parish had to say about their experience using FASTalk.
How can I fund FASTalk?
- FASTalk is eligible for multiple funds: Title I (including Part C), Title II, Title III, Title IV, and IDEA
- Family Engagement Lab will continue to work with the Louisiana Department of Education to offer FASTalk to students with disabilities within the SPDG cohorts in 2019-2020