Family Engagement Lab is in the news! Read press announcements and recent articles featuring Family Engagement Lab.
Illustrative Mathematics, Family Engagement Lab, and Partnership for Los Angeles Schools
Collaborate to Support Family Engagement in Math
February 24, 2021
FASTalk text messages, aligned with the IM K–5 Math curriculum, help parents support their child’s math skills at home
Tucson, AZ -- Illustrative Mathematics (IM) and Family Engagement Lab have partnered to bridge classroom curriculum and at-home learning in elementary school mathematics. Through this partnership, Family Engagement Lab will align its FASTalk (Families and Schools Talk) family engagement tool with the IM K–5 Math curriculum. Together, the two nonprofits will collaborate with Partnership for Los Angeles Schools to make the new tool available at participating pilot sites in Los Angeles Unified School District starting this month.
IM K–5 Math is the first mathematics curriculum to be supported by the FASTalk family engagement tool. FASTalk builds partnerships between teachers and families by sharing at-home learning activities via text messages in each family’s home language.
Through the collaboration with Partnership for Los Angeles Schools, IM and Family Engagement Lab will support participating teachers and families with weekly SMS text messages that include tips and activities aligned with the IM K–5 Math curriculum. The FASTalk text messages, which are available in more than 100 languages, will be pre-loaded and pre-scheduled to match teacher pacing guides and reinforce the IM classroom curriculum each week.
Read the full press release.
- FASTalk's impact in Oakland highlighted in Great School Voices
- Press Release: FASTalk bridges language gap between parents and teachers during pandemic (Spanish version)
- Press Release: Study Shows FASTalk Meaningfully Advances Academic Achievement, Significant
Literacy Gains Observed
- Press Release: Free Early Childhood At-Home School Readiness Program to Assist New Orleans Area Families with School Success
- Press Release: FASTalk Offers Summer Learning Tool to Extend Learning Time
- Co-Founders Vidya Sundaram and Elisabeth O’Bryon were featured as Inspirational Women in STEM and Tech by Authority Magazine
- Co-Founder Elisabeth O'Bryon shares six strategies for supporting students and families, no matter what language they speak, in her article "Keeping the Family Close," featured in the February issue of Language Magazine (pages 24-27)
- Oakland Teacher uses FASTalk to Engage Parents in Student Learning (Tech & Learning)
- FASTalk Featured as a Top Digital Learning Strategy by Teacher in Oakland, CA (eSchool News)
- Family Engagement Lab Launches Learning Series for Educators (District Administration, THE EDVOCATE)
- Family Engagement Lab Founders Featured in Fordham's Wonk-A-Thon
- Family Engagement Lab team highlighted as part of the Oakland Literacy Coalition Member Network
- J-PAL North America Announces Inaugural Partners for Education, Technology, Opportunity and Innovation Competition (MIT News)
- Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley announces Greater Good Parenting grantees (Greater Good Science Center)